Saturday, September 24, 2016

Countdown to pure excitement

Welcome to Artifacts and Relics, my OSR RPG blog. In case you don't know what "OSR" means, it stands for "Old School Revival." Revival of which old school? That's where the "RPG" comes in...as in "role-playing game," as in tabletop role-playing games.  You know, Dungeons and Dragons with all the funny dice, that kind of thing.  

By returning to the "old school," we're going back to the spirit of role-playing from the early days of the hobby.  I'm talking about stuff from the 70s and early 80s...the wild and pulpy sensibility before things settled into predictable patterns.  My own start in the scene goes back to the early to mid 80's.  The first ever RPG book I got was good old Expedition to Barrier Peaks, and that's probably a good representation of my own sensibility.

Anyway, this isn't really the place to come if you want to know what OSR is all about (or RPGs, for that matter).  At least, not for the time being.  I'll leave that for others; this site is going to be where I host all the OSR content that I'm not too embarrassed to share with the world.  I might write a couple of other articles about gaming philosophy, or review some published materials.  But for now, I'm intending to focus on putting my own stuff out there, in a pretty raw form.

Now that we got that out of the way, I'm sure you're wild with anticipation for the rest of the material here.  I won't keep you any longer - good reading, madam or sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment